Children and Families
Sunday School is offered on Sunday mornings to children three years old through 5th grade at 9 a.m. in the Children’s Center. If children come at 8:50 am, they are also invited to have donuts with us before Sunday School.
We divide Sunday School programming and lessons by age group:
3 year olds – 2nd grade – “Godly Play”
3rd – 5th grades – “Spark”
Godly Play offers children with a unique experience of hands-on engagement with scripture, liturgy, and practices of the church. The intent is to do more than educate our children’s minds; it is to form our children’s hearts. Our hope is to deepen their relationship with the Holy, that each of them may know wonder and experience the deep love of God in Christ.
We have a fully staffed nursery for babies and toddlers just down the hall from the main elevator in the Parish House. There, our littlest ones are tended by two trained child-care providers in a cheerful and well-equipped facility. The nursery schedule follows our worship schedule and is open Sunday mornings from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., when the regular worship schedule resumes in September, through the middle of May. During the summer, middle of May through Labor Day, it is available 9:30 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.
Children’s Worship is held during our Sunday morning service in the Children’s Center. Leaving following the Gospel reading, children return to their parents during the announcements.
Other Activities for Children and Families
Our children are involved in a variety of activities and ministries throughout the year. These are just a few:
- Parent/Family book group, discussion and fellowship on Sunday mornings at 9 a.m.
- Collecting school supplies for Woodville Elementary School
- Giving Tree at Christmas time for donations to Woodville Elementary School
- Christmas Eve Pageant – a St. Paul’s tradition (All are invited to participate in this “no rehearsal” pageant)
- Easter Egg Hunt on the grounds of the Virginia State Capitol
- Peace Camp – a cooperative ministry with local churches to help children answer the question, “Who is my neighbor?”
For more information about Children and Families’ opportunities and activities, as well as to see what we’ve been up to this past month, check out our recent newsletters below. If you’d like to receive updates, please contact Linda Willis, Director of Children & Family Ministries.
To enroll your child in Sunday School or in our nursery, please fill out the following information: